Who would have thought that a bit of friendly chattiness and a little joke with some people at a trade stand at an event last year would lead to a trip to work over in Manchester? It's so funny as I don't really see it as 'Networking' - I've always just called it 'making friends'! That approach seems way more genuine anyway plus it's fun and makes working out and about seem less like work. Always a winner.
So, I got a call from the centre for Enterprise at Manchester Metropolitan University - they'd met me at a Ladies Business event in Crewe and wanted to see if I was interested in covering a conference they were running so on Thursday. I basically got to work in the place I went to my very first gig - Manchester GMEX (now known as Manchester Central). I must say it was a very different experience from the one my 14 or 15 year old self had: getting squashed at the front whilst trying to catch a decent glimpse of my teenage heart throb Damon Albarn from Blur - not very easy when you're vertically challenged at 5'2".
So armed with my two cameras, being considerably less squashed and my height not being an issue this time, I spent the day with MMU, photographing their Smart Europe event - where people from various EU states look to create jobs and boost employment by working together and supporting one another in partnerships.
The conference began with various addresses, some case studies and plans for the future. After lunch, there was a chance for the attendees to do some networking and participate in practical workshops.
It was a great event to be part of - the people were all lovely, MMU and the staff at Manchester Central really looked after me, I got to use some of my multilingual talents and I even managed to get a room full of people to giggle as I dropped a biscuit down my top. I honestly thought I'd gotten away with that one too ;)