• Sometimes, no matter how many big DJs you've booked or how hard you promote the night, people just ain't coming out. It might be the weekend before payday; you might have been out every other night, caned it completely and really need to stay in and recuperate for once or simply, it's been a nice weekend so you're going for a BBQ and camping instead - who knows, sometimes shit just happens. I know Eddy the promoter for this night and he works his ass off and usually pulls a good crowd (usually nutters, like) so I felt a bit sad that he didn't get the crowd he deserved that night.
However, one thing it did make me think of is the amount of people that don't want to fork out for a photographer for their night. I mean, yes, it is another expense on top of the dj's, soundsystem, posters, flyers etc but if you want your night to be a success, then surely it needs to attract people to come. People need to feel like they missed out on a massive party - so getting your mate with an iphone or a newbie to do it for free / beer, might save you a few quid on the night but it might end up costing you in future if people are going to think your night looks shit. Sure, photographers all need to start somewhere, so of course, get a newbie in (I was one once too, ya know) but, even if it's just for an hour, get someone in who knows what they're doing...
Scroll down to see what I mean ;)
Compare these photos with this snap from the same party. I nicked it off facebook...
Which party would you rather go to? ;)
Hats off to Eddy and the crew for forking out for a photographer... let's hope some of the others follow suit too. Not only will you get awesome photos, but I'm a right party animal too :)