...and I received a last minute call from DJ / Producer King Unique. His new mix album was due out the following week and he was in desperate need of some up to date and groovy press pics to accompany the release. That was the only night I could do it as I'd planned a trip down to London the following morning and there was no way I was missing out on my fix of pancakes - so I made sure that was included into the deal too.
At around 11pm, we began the shoot - after spending the afternoon and early evening sourcing props. Matt, from KU wanted the pics to also be suitable for future gig promo as well as this coming release so we needed something to fit across the board.
King Unique by name, as well as by nature, you can rest assured that this was not going to be any ordinary shoot - avoiding the obvious crown and royalty theme, we brainstormed the possibly of something to make him stand out from a sea of sameness out there. I asked him about his current work and the mix that this shoot would be part of the PR for - he told me that his mix was called Beyond Borders and was a super eclectic mix spread across various genres of dance music. He feels that the very idea of the 'genre' is dead and dance music is more alive than ever because of it. We needed a shoot to reflect this.
Have a look at what we came up with - it's definitely something different to what I'm used to and it really did push my photoshopping skills. We're both really pleased with the result. What do you think?
If you like your tunes, I'd also highly recommend purchasing this mix. Matt gave me a CD and I haven't stopped pissing the neighbours off since I got it :D